05 January 2010

Day 14

Hemeglobin 8.4
WBC 0.1
Platelets 40
Creatinine 1.22

Another good day today.  Lots of visitors:  my parents, Dietz, Melanie, Zu-Yi, and I got to spend lots of quality time with IRael :)

I have my bone marrow biopsy scheduled for tomorrow morning at 0830, which means we'll hopefully have the results by Friday.  This will be the first look at how effective chemotherapy was.  If I'm back in remission the marrow will be <5% blasts (I was at about 75% blasts before starting chemotherapy).  However, this biopsy is just sort of a preliminary indicator.  Since my counts have yet to begin to recover, even if this biopsy shows remission it would still be possible for the cancer to appear when the counts return.  An additional biopsy around day 28 would be needed to confirm remission.  I think if this biopsy indicates the leukemia is still present I will begin additional chemotherapy even before my counts return.  If it's clear I'll begin transplant preparations again, pending another clear biopsy around day 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment