01 September 2010

Call Me "House" Kempfert....

...because I'm covered in shingles.  D'oh.

So Monday I woke up with a small patch of irritated skin on my right side of my belly.  I didn't think much of it.  Yesterday I woke up feeling ill and the patch had grown and become very painful, but I still didn't think much of it.  Today I woke up, the patch had grown more and was still extremely painful, even without touching.  After much nagging (thanks IRael...) I called my nurse and she recommended I come get it checked out.  Turns out I have shingles.

Shingles is caused by the Varicella-zoster virus, the same that causes chickenpox.  I had chickenpox as a kid, and after the body fights off the virus the first time it doesn't completely disappear.  Instead it lies dormant in nerve endings, waiting for an opportune time to re-emerge.  If it does it isn't called chickenpox, it's called shingles.  So it is quite common for it to appear in patients who are immune compromised.  It causes painful skin lesions, flu-like symptoms, and, in extreme cases, organ damage, blindness or deafness (if it affects the nerves in the eyes or ears).

I've never had my skin hurt like these shingles lesions hurt.  It feels like stabbing knives all along the affected area, and that's when there is no contact.  Wearing a shirt is almost unbearable, such little pressure increases the pain dramatically.  The doctor I saw today started me on an anti-viral to combat the infection and gave me a strong painkiller to help relieve my suffering.  I've had an upset stomach all day too.  Unfortunately she said it will probably get more uncomfortable before it gets better, which can take two or three weeks.  There isn't much else that can be done. They can give me different painkillers if the dilaudid doesn't work.

My appointment with Dr. Oran yesterday was rescheduled for next Tuesday.  So I haven't heard any of my test results yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment