25 December 2009

And To All A Good Night!

So my nurse asked my endocrinologist about bolusing for meals.  His response:  we're not used to patients on insulin drips having much of an appetite, so bolusing for what is being eaten is a great idea.  I got this news after having a late lunch, so I again spent my afternoon and evening in the mid 300's before it came down.  I ate a late dinner again and bolused appropriately.  We'll see how this treats me tonight.

Overall I've been feeling well.  I get out of bed and move around my room without any problems, although tugging around my IV pole is annoying.  Today IRael and I walked four laps around the 7th floor, my goal is to make it to ten laps total throughout the day.  It feels good to get out of bed and do things for myself.  Other than the high blood glucose I am not having any nausea or other side effects yet, but they tell me with Citarabine that typically comes later.  I just want to be sure to get as much exercise as possible while I can to keep my strength up and lung clear.

My doctors are fairly certain there is fungus growing in my right lung.  I'm on antifungals to treat it and they tell me as long as I'm asymptomatic they don't plan to treat it any different.  I haven't had a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, but my CBC is still up.  Hopefully once this goes I won't have any additional advancement of the infection.  It makes me realize how incredibly sick I was when I was first diagnosed.  I think of all the precautions I take now (constant hand washing, wearing a mask when leaving my room) to prevent infection, I can't believe I was so careless this summer.

Today I had breakfast with IRael, spent the afternoon playing Uno and watching movies with my family, then walked the rounds with IRael before he headed home for the night.  I am so fortunate to have such a devoted and loving boyfriend, a family willing to drive through a snowstorm to be together for the holiday, and the constant thoughts and warm-wishes from friends and strangers alike.  I cannot convey my gratitude to everyone who is pulling for me, and I hope your holiday was a good one.

I just checked my blood sugar: 150.  Bingo.

No comments:

Post a Comment