26 December 2009

Day 4

If I have learned one thing from extended stays in hospitals it is this:  no news is good news.  Because unless you're being discharged (the best day ever) it means you're having more procedures done, and 'nothing' is better than a procedure.

Today oncology and endocrinology were here for about five minutes each.  The only complications I have from treatment so far are the eye problems and the high glucose associated with steroid use.  As for the hyperglycemia, I'm happy to report it stayed under control all night.  However, I seem to have the most difficulty controlling it during the afternoon and evening, so we'll see how tonight goes.  I think I need to adjust my carb ratios (how many units I give per gram of carbohydrate eaten) due to the steroid treatments.  I finished lunch at 1145 and I'm already up from 152 at 1200 to 250 at 1300.

Suk, my nurse, just came in and I discussed the idea with her.  She's on board.  She's always so sweet to me.

So I took 4.3U correction at 1310 and will check my glucose in an hour.

My eyesight remains poor, but I am still able to use a computer.  Reading words off the TV is tricky.  I receive eye drops (another steroid, of course) every four hours to help protect my eyes from the chemo, but an improvement has yet to be seen (pun definitely intended).  By 31 December I will have finished with chemotherapy and the majority of the hazardous waste will have flushed from my body. As I'm told by oncology, my eyesight should begin to return.  If not I'll be considered for further treatment.

I am encouraged by the treatment so far.  I still feel healthy.  My ability to get out of bed, take a shower, and walk around the hospital amazes me, as it was never like this before.  The challenge will be remaining this way once my counts are down.

I love visitors, even if it's someone to just sit and watch TV.  Or calls, my room phone is 612 273 0729.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nic! Hopefully, Steve and I can come visit soon, maybe sometime next week if this sore throat I have doesn't flush out into a cold. Glad to hear that your appetite is staying up and that you're so much more in control of your treatment now than you previously were. Definitely encouraging words!

    Glad you had such a nice Christmas with your family. The roads weren't the greatest, so I'm really happy that everyone's travels were safe. I wish the holiday weekend could have been longer... it was tough getting back into the swing of things at work today, and spending time with family over the long weekend was wonderful.

    Hope that your day is going well. Still reading your posts and praying daily for you. Thinking of you often, and hope to talk soon. :o)
    ~Erin (Beilke) Stinson

    ReplyDelete