08 April 2010

Day 38

Hemoglobin 8.8
Platelets 86
WBC 3.5
|Neutrophils| 1.5
Creatinine 1.26

I met with Dr. Oran on Tuesday and again she was pleased with the improvement in most of my counts.  Since my creatinine has finally reached acceptable levels she put me back on cyclosporine.  The dose is only 25 mg (10% of a standard dose) and we will see how my kidneys react.  I believe Dr. Oran wants to increase this dose until we reach the highest level possible that my kidneys will tolerate.  She also prescribed a Z Pack (azithromycin, an antibiotic) to help potentially treat whatever I have been coughing about.  She considers it "overmedicating", but she'd rather be safe than sorry.

I met yesterday with endocrinology and they don't think the problems I'm experiencing in my feet is neuropathy.  It isn't presenting like standard neuropathy, so they think it is more likely due to a medication associated with my kidney function.  They will continue to monitor it, in case it is early-stage neuropathy, but recommended I discuss it with nephrology, hoping they would have some insight.

I also met with my ophthalmologist yesterday about my left eye.  The good news is that there is no serious or continuing damage in my eye.  The vessels are very sensitive and can bleed even if when my platelets aren't < 30.  The bad news is that there isn't much he is willing to do about it at this point.  It may take weeks for the blood to clear, and that's only if it isn't continuing to bleed.  But since my body is still adjusting from the transplant he doesn't think surgical removal of the blood is a good idea.  If I continue to have this problem after things "have settled down", then we can discuss surgical intervention.  For now, I have to wait it out, as annoying as it is having only one good eye.  Maybe I should get a patch...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nic! I'm glad you are continuing to improve! I can only imagine how frustrating it is not to be able to see out of that eye, but it's great news knowing it is not anything permanent! We think about you and pray for you every day! We're looking forward to the 4th of July to celebrate your recovery with you! We love & miss you! Nicole & Sophia

    ReplyDelete